you're visitor number

i just can't seem to fit in...

However hard I try I just can’t seem to fit in this place. Today once again the non-catholic folk had a few problems at class because I was in my shorts. For some reason my “classmates” at NIIT feel the need to tell me every time that India and Canada are two different places with different cultures and apparently “men” in India aren’t supposed to wear shorts period.

The problem here though is deep. If its not shorts, it’s the way I talk or there’s a question on why I put on chap stick? (apparently chap stick isn’t for men), etc. It’s not that these comments like pull me down or make me feel bad for myself… instead I feel pity for such ignorant people. I have had the privilege of interacting with people from many cultures. I’ve interacted with Indians and other Asians before as well but well they were non-residents of their respective countries. Anyways, the problem here, I figure, is difference in upbringing – the teachings I received while growing up compared to the teachings of the people bought up here.

I do not judge them for being right or wrong but what I get all irate about is that for some reason they feel the need to tell me that what I do is wrong and isn’t accepted in my own country.
The thing that has got me thinking is: How can I call India my country when most people here treat me as a foreigner? It does hurt a little when I give this some thought. Oman and Canada were far more accepting to me. I miss my old friends at times so bad… (Ah also the white women…black women…– okay)

I got to write that I find Indian Catholics (I’m being specific – Catholics only) accept me much more easily compared to people of other faith. I do feel one of the reasons for this could be that religion does install in us a little culture – and everyone belonging to a particular religion is imparted with the culture of that religion. Interacting with non-Catholic folk gets a little difficult. There are various barriers that I have to overcome with them including the language barrier which is most critical to communication.

I read somewhere in a book… that “if your unhappy with people don’t try changing them, instead change yourself”. Well… that works I guess but then I consider myself quite close to perfection (I even had an email called reflectionofperfection@....com) – improvisation on my personality is real hard especially since I can’t seem to find any fault in it (I’ve tried searching for faults but then there’s something called external factors rite?).

Anyways the Lord knows that I love challenges. I always ask for obstacles in my path… I want to overcome each and every obstacle that he puts in my way… so I can die with dignity knowing that I fought hard. The next year will be a test; I got to change college next year and my options are mostly non-Catholic colleges. Mixing around with peeps from those colleges will be a sure test. I’m very optimistic though about the future, I’m always optimistic…

Ah as I finish I can’t still imagine that people here think it’s weird to wear shorts to tuitions… or how weird it’s not wearing underwear to college (at times)?

3 comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM  

i dont quite agree with this particular blog, FLOYD. Firstly coz ur judgements r too specific and also coz not all non-catholic frnds r silly to talk bout shorts,chap-stick,usage of language etc.....its jus one of the breeds that ur with which is a old sckool type....there is a different NC breed out there u'll b suprised to knw r thinkin(money schems),behavin,eatin(loads of banans), wearin ONLY SHORTS CLUB..etc....u havent gone beyond the sad old sckool type....

I strongly suggest that change college....it wud b a good exposure since ur a culture guy...u'll meet tones of them outside ANDREW'S...(colleges)

As for the fittin in part goes.....its a PREJUDICE world!!! ST.ANDREW PRAY FOR US!!!

October 29, 2007 at 6:42 PM  

i don't know about the st andrews part. but i do agree with the rest. I know plenty of catholics who would be scandalized at the thought of shorts in classes and plenty of non-catholics who would be right there with you wearing shorts too. It is pretty unfair to generalize and say things like that.

November 8, 2007 at 2:15 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home